If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

06 May, 2015

Grizzled Skipper: streaks of grey | Nature Notes from Dorset

The grizzled skipper (Pyrgus malvae) is a far from common species, it may be overlooked of course but I see it only very occasionally. Dorset is one of its strongholds as it likes flowery downs and slopes and so the Purbeck Ridge and the sea cliff tops at places like Durslton and Portland Bill are good places to find them. They are quite a small butterfly and tend to fly close to the ground preferring soil and rocks as resting places.
They have two broods here in the south. The first brood fly in May and June and the second brood briefly in September. They lay their eggs on wild strawberry where possible

Read more: Grizzled Skipper: streaks of grey | Nature Notes from Dorset