If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

01 April, 2015

Wood Spurge: what an irritating plant | Nature Notes from Dorset

Some large Euphorbias are popular as garden flowers, some small Euphorbias are despised as garden weeds; funny world isn't it?  The one Euphorbia amygdaloides is better known as wood spurge and is neither!
Wood spurge is quite a large plant and it grows freely in broad-leaf woodlands across Dorset. It is amongst the few plants that actually thrive in shade and but it still likes to flower early, between March and May, before the upper tree canopy gets too dense with leaves. The flowers are rather curious, as are most flowers in this family, being yellowish green and appearing a little like disk shaped leaves.

Read more: Wood Spurge: what an irritating plant | Nature Notes from Dorset