If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

06 March, 2015

Black Headed Gull: the chocolate faced gull | Nature Notes from Dorset

The black headed gull (Larus ridibundus); Mr and Mrs, side by side, so that you can compare. There not much to distinguish them is there? The male, at the back, is slightly larger and has a slightly more stout bill. It also has a little more colouring on its face. These birds are in summer plumage and despite being named black headed gulls they are not gulls with black heads at all! The colouring is chocolate brown rather than black and it is their face, not their head, that is chocolate coloured. In the autumn they moult and lose that lovely dark head plumage and become white faced with just a dark comma shape behiing the ear. 
 
In Dorset this is one of our two most common species of gull, the other is the herring gull,

Read more: Black Headed Gull: the chocolate faced gull | Nature Notes from Dorset