If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

04 February, 2015

Primrose: the common primula | Nature Notes from Dorset

Yellow seems to be the dominant colour amongst early spring flowers. Lesser celandine, daffodil, dandelion, colt's-foot, gorse and primrose all display lovely yellow tones to brighten the woodland floor and our hedgerows. It is not long though before white takes over with shrub blossoms like blackthorn and hawthorn in the hedges and wood anemone, wood-sorrel and ramsons in the woodlands. These, along with early umbels such as cow parsley, will in turn give way to pinks, mauves and purples before yellow returns in the autumn.
The primrose (Primula vulgaris) was once extremely common, Primular vulgaris means the common primula but these days it seems it is a little less so.



Read more: Primrose: the common primula | Nature Notes from Dorset