If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

14 December, 2014

Studland Heath National Nature Reserve: the bare essentials | Nature Notes

Pretty inhospitable in winter but a delight in spring and summer, especially the brilliant yellow of the gorse in the spring and the lovely purple of the bell heather in late summer. Studland is a classic site of sand dune succession with various stages of the sand dune system clearly visible.
My records for this site also include sightings from the off shore area in Studland and Shell bay which is a wintering haven for rare grebes and divers. A walk along Studland Beech is a popular way of spending a Sunday afternoon although most people will miss the birds bobbing up and down on the waves not far out to sea.



Read more: Studland Heath National Nature Reserve: the bare essentials | Nature Notes