If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

17 December, 2014

Silk Button Gall: all sewn up | Nature Notes

A substantial number of insects, over a thousand, are associated with oak trees, it is one reason why our oaks are so important. Several of these insects lay their eggs on oak trees which then produce galls or deformities. The silk button gall (Neuroterus numismalis) is one such species. Being a bright orange-brown in colour they are one of the more easily found galls as they are quite noticeable (assuming you take the trouble to look to course!). Why the silk button gall? 



Read more:

Silk Button Gall: all sewn up | Nature Notes