If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

05 May, 2014

Bere Wood: the sea of blue

You can see bluebells almost anywhere in Dorset, along roadside verges, on cliff tops, even on the heaths but to see them at their best one needs to go to one of the county's well established woodlands. Visiting woodland to see bluebells seems to be a veru popular pass time and there is some debate as to where the best place is. Is it Pamphill in the east or Hooke Park in the west or perhaps
Duncliffe Wood in the north? I am not sure exactly how one rates them but for me on sheer density of flowers over an expansive area it has to be the little known Bere Wood!
The best way to access Bere Wood is to park by the church in Bloxworth and walk west, cross the field and in to the wood. The eastern end of the wood that you enter from this direction is the best from a natural perspective being mainly broadleaf woodland. As you progress further in you encounter conifer plantation and extensive rhododendron and so there is very little to see. As you progress further still you come to the paint-ball battle ground and the path, not signposted, veers left up the hill but there really is little of interest up that way. The paths can be quite muddy too so take care.
There are not only bluebells to be seen but many other woodland species too and spring is undoubtedly the best time to visit. The eastern end of Bere Woods is an absolute joy.
Related Post: