If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

22 April, 2014

Guillemot: all at sea

Migration is not just about birds leaving us for Africa in autumn and returning to us in spring. As amazing as those journeys are for swallows, warblers, terns and others, remember also our sea birds. They do not leave our shores to fly to Africa, they spend the winter months flying around the oceans. Indeed, it is only with the coming of small GPS tracking systems that we are beginning to understand the migration of our sea birds by attaching these devices
to some of them .
After spending the winter somewhere far away out at sea the guillemot (Uria aalge) returns to the cliffs of Durlston and Portland Bill for the breeding season. Between March and the end of July is the best time to look out for them and If you look out from the cliff tops you can often see rafts of these birds floating below you, and often in seemingly in straight lines! About two hundred pairs nest at Durlston and more than that number at Portland. In recent years the numbers have been declining and are down about 35% in less than 10 years which is worrying. Dwindling fish stocks and severe winter storms in our changing climate seem to be the main issues along with, of course, pollution of our seas with oil and plastics.
The guillemot is a member of the auk family, its cousins the razorbill and the puffin also nest on the Dorset coast but in much, much smaller numbers. The guillemot is easy to tell apart from the other two because of their chocolate brown head and back with white front and that pointed beak. In many ways they are the penguins of the northern hemisphere.
Related Post: