If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

17 February, 2014

A current bank vole account

Although very common this is a little chap you do not often see. The bank vole (Clethrionomys glareolus) is a tiny creature, just 4 inches from nose to tip of its tail and it is a favourite snack for kestrels, owls and foxes and so it is a very cautious animal, spending as little time in the open as it can and often preferring to venture out at
night.
The bank vole can be found all over mainland Britain. Its preferred habitat is coppiced areas of woodland with dense vegetation such as bracken and bramble but can be found in mature woods, hedges, scrub and gardens.

They are omnivorous, eating both insects and fruits such as hazelnuts, seeds, berries, as well as green plants and fungi. They live in underground chambers lined with moss, feathers and vegetable fibre and inside the chamber they keep a store of food.
Related post: