If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

03 February, 2011

Pedunculate Oak (Quercus robor)

There is not much to see this time of year and even less to photograph. However, I was out walking, looked across the open field and there was a tree standing tall and it occurred to me that my tree identification skills on a scale of 0 to 10 is about 1!

There are a lot tress around so I thought it time to put that to rights and where else to start than by getting to know the English Oak, the Pedunculate Oak.

In winter we do not have a lot to go on, leaves are often the best indicator of tree species but the silhouette of trees without leaves does vary and this rounded appearance with a solid trunk and major branches is indicative of the English Oak.

It is also one of our most common trees so they are not hard to find and large trees of this nature are only going to be one of a handful of species anyway.

There are three other oak trees, the Sessile which is a tree of parks, the Holm and the Turkey. The latter two are very different and cannot really be confused with the good old English Oak, they have acorns but the tree itself is quite different.