If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

07 September, 2010

Orb Spider (Araneus quadratus)

Late summer is a good time to look for spiders and there are some real gems to be found. Even arachnaphobes would surely have to agree that some spiders a really beautiful and, of course, quite harmless (to human beings of course, not insects!).

This colourful specimen is the Orb-web Spider, a close relative of the common Garden Spider. Its striking colour looks like a large berry or fruit which must add to the deception that attracts the unwary fly or moth in to its wonderfully detailed, but lethal, web.

This spider is quite common on the Purbeck heaths as well as on rough pasture and scrub throughout the south of England.