If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

27 September, 2009

Greenbottle (Lucilla caesar)

So flies are not everyone's favourite creatures but, even if you despise them, just take a moment to have a close look at the 'Greenbottle'. The shiny metallic green colouring is, in my view at least, amazing. You can even see my reflection in this one as I creep up on it to take its photo! Look at those amazing big brown eyes too, nearly 10% of this insects body are eyes.

The Greenbottle rarely comes in to our houses and I confess that it is not the most tasteful of insects. Frequently seen on dung of all kinds, especially dog's, and then seen on Blackberries. Do you like to pick the odd blackberry to eat as you stroll along a country path? It lays its eggs in carrion and the larvae are a key part of the recycling process.

There are various similar species but, as far as I can tell, this is the commonest, Lucilla caesar.