If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

31 August, 2009

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui)

My nomination for butterfly of the year 2009! At one point back in late May Butterfly Conservation were estimating over 2 million were coming in across the Channel every day!

The Painted Lady is an immigrant species, the eggs and larva that are laid in the Autumn by those that come to our shores each year cannot survive the British winter. Each year is different with some years hardly any coming and other years quite a lot but it is thought we have never seen anything quite like this year.

This incredible influx raises two questions. Why so many this year and do some actually turn round and go back as the summer comes to an end? Butterfly Conservation hope to let us have the answers to these quite soon.